St. Mary’s, Heacham
Porch - 15th century, with stone seats and the remains of a vaulted ceiling, with at one time a room above accessed from a door just inside the south aisle. Look for the remains of a holy water stoup just inside the entrance and also an empty niche which once contained a statue of the Virgin Mary.
South Doorway - 13th century, very fine, formed by 2 orders of detached shafts and a finely moulded arch.
Font - probably 15th century, a plain, square bowl with quatrefoils, resting on cruciform steps.
West window - early perpendicular style, with graceful, flowing tracery.
Look for the brass memorial to an unknown knight c.1485)
Note the fine octagonal columns with carved heads.
5 pairs of ornamental lamp holders decorate the nave, copies of St Mark’s, Venice, and made in Naples (1884).
Diamond hatchments - reflecting the Rolfe family (north aisle) since 1560 -
NW - Nicholas Styleman d.1830, (greyhound / unicorn figures) Centre N - Edmund Rolfe d.1836 (sheaf with gold rings) NE Edmund Rolfe d.1817 (sheaf, arms a Gyronny with gold rings)
and their widows (opposite)
SW - Elizabethe Styleman d.1831 (swans & herring) Centre S - Catherine Rolfe d.1837 (running greyhounds SE - Dorothy Rolfe d.1829
The royal coat-of-arms George III hang above the nave arch.